Advertisements

Try it Tuesday: Silent Sticky Conferences

A burning question I seem to repeat year after year is “How do I talk to more of my students one-on-one beginning on the first day of school?”

I know the value of making eye contact with the adolescents who enter my room. I know the importance of making them feel like they belong here — like they are in a place where they can be themselves, a place where they want to learn.

I confer regularly with my students — about their reading lives and their writing lives — but every year it seems to take me a while to get in the groove. You know, get all the procedures introduced and underway, get students interested in books (and sometimes reading itself), learn names, set up our writer’s notebooks and our blogs and all the different bits of technology we use regularly like Google Classroom and Twitter.

I know all of these things are important, but sometimes I feel like I miss valuable moments of just I-want-to-get-to-know-you in my rush to get everything set up so we can finally begin to learn.

I know myself well.

So this year — I’ve slowed the pace a bit. And my students and I are passing notes.

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 7.49.08 PM

On the first day of school, I asked students to write their names big and bold on one side of a notecard. (I use these throughout the year to select non-volunteers to speak up and share their notebook responses and to answer questions. You know, like the popsicle sticks with everyone’s name on them idea.) Then, on the other side of the card, I asked students to tell me what they think I need to know about them as a learner in relation to the reading and writing we will do in this English class.

Silent confer1Some of my students’ notes were telling:  Many of them lack confidence. Few of them like to read. A couple feel ready for the complex texts they will have to tackle. Some explained in very few words a need to feel validated and cared for and something personal and important to them as learners in my care.

silentconfer3

I responded to each student’s note with a personal note of my own, written on a sticky note that I returned the next day in class. One young man questioned as I walked the room passing them out:  “Miss, you wrote to all of us?”silentconfer2

“Yes,” I told him, ” and I need you to carefully read what I wrote. Let’s see if we can start a conversation about you and what you need from me as a reader and a writer.” His grin grew as golden.

Silent sticky-note conferences have been the norm in my class for quite some time. They bridge the gaps between face-to-face conferences, build relationships, show we care enough to pick up a pen and pen a few words of encouragement or instruction.

With class sizes of 30 (sometimes 30+) we have to find ways to talk to our students one-on-one often. This passing little notes method fulfills my need to touch base with students, and it fuels their need to be recognized, validated, and hopefully inspired.

If you haven’t invested in sticky notes this year, hurry to the store while they are still on the back-to-school sales. I’ve got a whole crate of them.

Next step:  We’ll eventually move into larger pieces of paper, so I want to teach my img_1845students to fold notes like I did way back in seventh grade before the advent of all this technology. Texting friends just cannot be as fun as all those little folded notes.

What are your ideas for more face-to-face and one-on-one conversations with students this year? Please share in the comments.

Advertisements

Tagged: , ,

9 thoughts on “Try it Tuesday: Silent Sticky Conferences

1. Try It Tuesday: Notebook Write-Arounds | September 13, 2016 at 7:08 am Reply

[…] Bless, Press, Address responses from other students, or my own written feedback (like Amy’s Silent Sticky Notes), and respond to it in their […]

2. Lori September 8, 2016 at 6:01 pm Reply

I am going to try this with my 6th grade MS ELA class. Thank you for a terrific idea!

3. Janel Sebeny August 31, 2016 at 3:23 pm Reply

Thank you! Looking forward to trying out this strategy in my room. While I do inventories, I like the focus of this question and the note cards make it quick and easy for 150 students!

4. Danna Yeager August 31, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reply

Thank you Amy. This post came at just the right time. I teach special education and the more I can learn from my kids, the more I can individualize for each student.

5. Dawn Goodale August 30, 2016 at 2:51 pm Reply

I’m going to adapt this and use with my 3-5 grade students in Library skills. Thanks for a great way to connect with my students on the first day of class!

6. Pamela Brunskill August 30, 2016 at 11:24 am Reply

Reblogged this on Pamela Brunskill and commented:
    What a great idea to establish trust and conversations with your students. And a boost to writing, too! I love this!

Liked by 1 person

7. Colleen August 30, 2016 at 9:32 am Reply

THANK YOU for planning my first day for me 🙂 !

8. Angela Keller August 30, 2016 at 8:28 am Reply

This post spoke right to my heart! Thank you! What a wonderful idea to start out the year!

9. rlkurstedt August 30, 2016 at 7:19 am Reply

Reblogged this on Rosanne L. Kurstedt's and commented:
    Connecting with students in any way you can is so important. Here Amy from 3 Teachers Talk discusses how she uses post-its. I used to do something very similar when I taught upper elementary school.

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

classroomcommunities.wordpress.com/

Building Relationships, Empowering Learners

Heinemann

Mentors with Insights, Ideas, and Resources for Secondary Readers & Writers Workshop

Literacy & NCTE

The official blog of the National Council of Teachers of English

kelly's blog - Kelly Gallagher

Moving Writers

Move the writing. Move the writer.

Blog | The Educator Collaborative Community

Voices of Educators Making a Difference

The Paper Graders

Teachers thinking about teaching, education, technology and anything else that bugs us.

Ethical ELA

conversations on the ethics of teaching English

%d bloggers like this: