Advertisements

New Year’s Resolutions

New Year 2

I’ve never really been much for writing New Year’s Resolutions (or keeping them for that matter), but I decided I would start this year off a little differently by trying my hand at writing a few. Obviously, I’m not off to a great start because it is more than a week into the new year and I’m just now sitting down to write them. Also, having never really done this before I decided to stick with some of the more traditional resolutions. Never the less, I think I’m actually quite satisfied with what I cam up with. I do caution you that you will want to read my resolutions carefully because I have put my own little slant on them. Hopefully, in reading my resolutions you will decide to adopt one or two of them for yourself!

1) Eat healthy and exercise regularly
   I encourage others to take in a healthy regimen of reading daily, but I often fail to find the time for me to read. I resolve to make reading a priority and commit time daily for my own reading pleasure.

2) Spend more time with family and friends
It seems like every time I book talk a book with students there are at least three or four a class period that want to take the book right then and start reading it. I resolve to spend more time with others talking about books in hope that it will continue to inspire others to read.

3) Lose weight
I have so many books. In fact, I am sure I have several thousand pounds of books! I resolve to drop my excess book weight by sharing my books with others.

4) Improve my education
I love learning and I love improving my craft. I resolve to continue my learning by reading several professional books this year.

5) Be more positive
I am positive that reading is the single most important factor it ensuring the educational success of all our students. I resolve to get books in the hands of our students and continue to encourage them to read.

6) Volunteer to help others
For any inexperienced readers a library or a bookstore with too many choices can be quite overwhelming. I resolve to help make these places more accessible for students by book talking and suggesting books for them to read. I further resolve to help them to develop a confidence in their reading tastes so that they will be confident when selecting their own books.

7) Save money
A teacher trying to continue to keep his/her classroom library up to date can be quite expensive, but I resolve to take advantaged of my Half Priced Book Sales, Scholastic book club points, Scholastic Books Warehouse sales, and even asking donations from my students.

8) Get organized
My bookshelves are a nightmare. I can hardly find a book I am looking for much less expect anyone to do the same. Whether it be by genre or some other means, II resolve to organize my endless shelves of books.

9) Travel more
There are so many places in the world that I am dying to visit. For every book I have yet to read there is a journey I have yet to take. I resolve to take a trip every time I open a book and go places I never thought I would.

10) Finish my “to-do” lists
My stack of books to read is falling over it is so tall. In fact, it seems like every time that I take one book off the stack I am adding two or three more. While I know that this stack is one that will never completely be finished, I do resolve to make every attempt to make a noticeable dent in the stack.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “New Year’s Resolutions

1. Erika Bogdany January 4, 2014 at 2:25 pm Reply

I love this post! And while I’m a “year behind”, this holds true every year. Your humor makes daunting resolutions come alive…and-oh-so manageable. Happy New Year, lady!

2. veronetravis January 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm Reply

Love this, Heather. Book talk = book walk. That’s exercise, right?

• hcato January 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm Reply

If you got skinny from book talking – I’d be so skinny you couldn’t even see me. I wish! ha!

3. gormanhistory January 9, 2013 at 4:46 pm Reply

Heather Can you suggest 5 awesome books that you think I would enjoy? Both do toon and or non.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

• hcato January 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm Reply

Do you like reading historical fiction? I know some history people do while others don’t. Also, do you like young adult books? They really have come a long way over the last decade or more. So, if you do in fact like young adult historical fiction you MUST read:

1. Between the Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys — absolutely beautiful! Even if someone doesn’t like YA they will love this book! Set in 1941 this book portrays the horror that many Lithuanians went through during Stalin’s regime.

2. Chains, Forge, Ashes (coming out next month) by Laurie Halse Anderson — American Revolution – “If an entire nation could seek its freedom, why not a girl?”

3. A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park — Based on a true story about one of the “lost boys” of Sudan

4. Once, Then, Now by Morris Gleitzman — An amazing story of a young boy and his innocent perspective on life as he experiences life during World War II

5. Wednesday Wars and Ok For Now by Gary D. Schmidt — “THE WEDNESDAY WARS is a wonderfully witty and compellingstory about a teenage boy’s mishaps and adventures over the course of the 1967–68 school year,” (goodreads.com)

4. Audrey Humaciu January 9, 2013 at 3:36 pm Reply

Nice job! #3 cracked me up. Your Aunt Carleta lost a lot of weight this way. Luckily I wasn’t closer or I would have gained them all. And even for the experienced reader #6 can be an issue, suggestions are always welcome in my book (ha ha, oops didn’t mean to be punny)

• hcato January 15, 2013 at 4:28 pm Reply

As for #6, I don’t advise that one walk up to random kids in the big box bookstores and start talking about books. They usually look at you like you are pretty weird!

What are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

classroomcommunities.wordpress.com/

Building Relationships, Empowering Learners

Heinemann

Mentors with Insights, Ideas, and Resources for Secondary Readers & Writers Workshop

Literacy & NCTE

The official blog of the National Council of Teachers of English

kelly's blog - Kelly Gallagher

Moving Writers

Move the writing. Move the writer.

Blog | The Educator Collaborative Community

Voices of Educators Making a Difference

The Paper Graders

Teachers thinking about teaching, education, technology and anything else that bugs us.

Ethical ELA

conversations on the ethics of teaching English

%d bloggers like this: